APS CARES - English
APS CARES - Spanish
The Aurora Public School District actively works to enhance the safety and security of students and staff at all our locations. The Risk Management Department works to ensure this result by:
- Requiring all school sites to have evacuation and lockdown plans.
- Requiring all schools to drill both their evacuation and lockdown plans.
- Meeting at each district site to review safety and security on an annual basis.
- Provide training and education via tabletop and functional drills for staff members.
- Distributing information to students on the safe2tell hotline (http://www.safe2tell.org/), which provides students a safe place to call and discuss concerns about school issues.
- Working closely with the Aurora Police Department School Resource Officers (SRO) who are located at each middle and high school.
- Work with sites to determine security camera needs.
- Work with sites to ensure adequate two-way radio placement.
- Provide screening for all who volunteer at our school sites.
- Provide safety and security training for campus monitors and deans.
- Providing security officers who patrol the district.
- Monitoring the alarms for all buildings on a 24/7 basis.
- Providing Emergency Guidebook for all staff members.
- Participating in the Incident Response Team trained which is trained to respond at sites in emergency situations.
STUDENT SAFETY BEFORE AND AFTER SCHOOL
Always use the crosswalk at the signal light. It is the safe thing to do.
The west parking lot is for parent parking and student drop-off and pick-up. Parents must remain in their vehicles at all times while in the pull through lane. We advise parents to make right turns only out of the parent parking lot to support traffic movement. The east parking lot is for staff members only. For students' safety, please do not park in this lot or drop off students here.
Students can also be dropped off and picked up behind the school on the north side of the building at the bottom of the hill.
The front pull-through lane is for school buses ONLY. Please do not drive or park in this area.
When parked by the side of the road, please remember that U-turns are illegal.
If you stop or park in a crosswalk, run the red light, speed in a school zone, make an illegal left turn or U-turn, or park in a clearly marked fire zone, you may receive a ticket.
IF YOU WILL BE LATE OR ABSENT, PLEASE CALL IN!
When your child is going to be late or absent, please call the attendance line at 303-326-1611 or you may call the main office at 303-693-7561. Please call by 8:00 a.m. to let the office know if your child will be late or absent for the day. This supports student safety because we need to account for all students, even those who are absent.
School hours are 8:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Students are expected to be seated in the classroom when the 8:00 a.m. tardy bell rings. The first bell rings at 7:55 a.m.
Dalton’s dismissal time is 2:30 p.m.
It is important that students are picked up on time. There is no staff available to supervise students who are not picked up at dismissal. If you are having difficulty picking up your student on time, we have our Daycare, Kids' Corner, available for a fee. In order for your child to go to our daycare, he/she must be registered ahead of time. You can pick up registration information from the office or the daycare.